Friday, 14 December 2012

Client to Server Redirection - Getting Error "File Not Found"

I love these strange ones. Let me explain the set-up a little.
XenApp 6.5 Rollup Pack 1 with Adobe Professional published on it. Client to Server redirection is enabled for PDF documents. Out on the endpoint the user is running local Outlook and has some emails with PDF files attached.

When the user opens the first PDF by double clicking it and clicking open all is well and published adobe lunches and opens the file with no issue. However if we now open a second PDF adobe pops up and displays "File not found"... but why?

User clicks 1st PDF in Outlook,
We pick this up and redirect to server
Server launches a session for the user and open the adobe application
Adobe launches the document. (\\client\c$\users..... Temp internet files\abcd.pdf)

Second PDF
Users click the PDF in Outlook
We pick this up and redirect to server
Server see’s there is a session to jump into with Adobe running already
Adobe get passed the file name (\\client\c$\users..... Temp internet files\abde.pdf)
Adobe fails to find the file

Issue Explained
In the second PDF there is no delay while we lunch a session/application.
While Outlook is still writing out the PDF to the temp location, redirect happens so fast that adobe tries to open the file before it is available to it VIA \\client\c$... etc
This is resulting in a race condition.

The Fix:
After much digging the following solution was found that resolved the issue.

Add the following to the XenApp Servers' registry

1.      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\picadm\Parameters
ValueName: CacheTimeout
ValueData: 1 (dec)

ValueName: DirCacheTimeout
ValueData: 1 (dec)

ValueName: RemoveableCacheTimeout
ValueData: 1 (dec)

and we also added:

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\FeatureLockdown]

These tweaks came courtesy of

No comments:

Post a Comment